In Columbus, Ohio, you better check with your mail carrier to make sure you aren’t violating their religious beliefs, before you give them your mail. A small family owned LEPD Logofirearms dealer, LEPD Firearms & Range, was trying to ship a gun to a buyer out of state through the USPS. Phillip Delbert, one of the owners of LEPD, had gone to his local Post Office to ship the gun. The weapon was packaged properly and all the paperwork was completed. When he got to the counter and presented his package and paperwork, the worker behind the counter, refused to even touch the package, saying, “Because of my religious beliefs, I cannot process your package.” The Blaze’s Mike Opelka, a long time journalist, reported.

Phillip Delbert and his son Eric are co-owners of LEPD. They are both licensed firearms dealers and part time police officers. Last week, they were trying to ship a gun to a buyer in Kentucky. Being licensed firearms dealers, they are familiar with the laws and rules that apply to shipping a firearm through the mail.

  • The buyer provides a local FFL dealer for the seller to ship to
  • There is specific paperwork that is required to ship a firearm through the USPS
  • The shipper has to attest that they have an FFL and complete the appropriate paperwork and then the package has to be stamped by the postal clerk
  • The weapon is then shipped to the receiving FFL dealer and they are responsible for completing a background check on the buyer

The Delberts followed the proper paperwork and packaging. It’s when they arrived at the Post Office that they ran into the problem. Phillip Delbert went into the postal station and when he got to the counter, he encountered something that shouldn’t have happened. He presented the package and paperwork to the employee behind the counter. The postal employee, named Juide, behind the counter refused to process the package or even touch it. She said that “Because of my religious beliefs, I cannot process your package.”

She told Phillip to step aside to an empty window and another clerk would complete his shipment. He waited and waited but no one ever came.

His son became concerned and called him on his cell phone. Phillip explained what was going on and Eric called the postal station. He spoke to another employee, explained what had happened and that postal worker came out and helped Phillip ship his package.

Eric Delbert reached out to The Blaze after the incident. They verified the information and then tracked the shipment to the regional post office of the shipment. They then contacted a representative for the USPS, David Van Allen and he followed up by investigating the claim.

Van Allen contacted The Blaze, after verifying the incident and admitted that “it never should have happened.” Van Allen said that the employee had been “talked to” and “the situation will not be repeated.” Van Allen made a sincere apology to the Delberts and for them to contact local postal station manager for a personal apology.

The Blaze attempted to make contact with Juide but when they reached the station, the employees would not confirm or deny if she worked there. And they talk about the blue wall with cops, I guess there is the wall of letters with the postal service.